About a year ago I started to not wash my hair every day. While I’ve had a lot of slip-ups due to moving and a big change in my daily schedule, I’ve switched back to washing every other day and my strands have never felt healthier.
About a month ago I noticed my ‘do was more frizzy than ever. I did some research and saw that it was likely due to my ends getting dried out, especially from the hotter weather and constant washing. Which was no bueno.
After trial and error, I’ve finally found a routine that brings healthy locks every day and looks fantastic and less frizzy. Plus, I get to sleep in half the week!
Day One | Freshly Washed
- I wash my roots and ends with KEH The One Signature Shampoo and Conditioner. Once a week I’ll use a mask, either Amika Nourishing Hair Mask or KEH Reconstructive Moisture Mask. All of these products are sulfate-free, keeping hair healthy and safe for coloured hair.
- Once out of the shower, I’ll wrap hair in a cotton towel and try to ring out all the moisture I can. I try to air dry as much as I can.
- While is damp, I apply John Freida Lift & Refresh Spray to my roots and massage it in. And it means business when it says root awakening! I comb my ends out and then apply TreSemme Volumizing Mousse to only the bottom half of my hair. It has heat protectant in the formula and gives hair a little hold and volume. On the off chance I do need to blow dry, I will run Living Proof No Frizz Styling Cream from root to tip before applying heat.
- Once completely air dried, I style how I want – I’ve been really into loose 1.25″ waves – and then run Obliphica Seaberry Hair Serum to protect my hair through the day and keep down my fly-aways. It also adds a little shine!
Day Two | Second Day Tousle
- Day One hair continues to look good throughout the day. I start by distributing the oils through with a boar bristle brush, like this one.
- To make sure to soak up any extra oil overnight, I apply dry shampoo to my roots. I’m fond of Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak dry shampoo because 1) the price and 2) the volume it gives without leaving too much residue. 10/10 would recommend.
- I will pull my bangs half-back with a jaw clip to avoid forehead oils in my strands. Time to get beauty rest…Zzzz
- When I wake up, all I need to do is to run a comb through and then refresh any curls or bang bends. I’ve actually been into pulling my second day hair into a bun to avoid extra oils, and give hair a little break.
- Smooth any flyaways with my Obliphica serum.
It can take a while to train hair to distribute oils over several days – some people a few months, some a few years – but keeping consistent is what is important! Find products that do what you need, and accept that some days your ‘do isn’t always going to look amazing.
Stay classy, Internet,