Well, Enthusiasts, I made it to 22. And it’s been quite the year.
If you’ve been following me on this journey, you will know that every year I make a list of all the lessons I’ve learned. If you haven’t been following, here is 17, 18, 19, and 20. And what you’re reading here is 21.
The ripe age of 21 tested me in ways I never knew. I graduated college. I got my first adult job. I dealt with heartbreak for the first time. I bought a car. I learned a lesson about friendship. I became really good at making avocado toast. And each of these experience taught me about the person I am, and who I strive to be. I’m a lot stronger than I give myself credit for, and I hope the lessons below show that.
The days that defined my 21st year of life will always stick with me, to remind me of the path I’ve taken where I am. And with Year 22 happening in only a few short hours, I can’t wait to see what it has in store for me.
21 Things I Learned at 21: A Year in Recap
1. There is a huge difference in being alone and being lonely.
2. You cannot be happy if you are not happy with your surroundings.
3. It’s okay to promote and demote friends depending on the way they treat you. You deserve a lot better than someone who doesn’t make you feel important.
4. Never let a friend make you feel crappy about yourself.
5. A bath will always make you feel better.
6. When you treat your body well, it treats you well.
7. Whoever thought to make gluten and lactose main staples of an American diet is my worst enemy.
8. When you look your best, you feel your best, and act your best.
9. Embrace new things, you’ll end up with great stories.
10. Sometimes the people you’ve known for the shortest amount of time can make you feel the most amazing.
11. It’s okay to feel like you have no one in your life. But don’t shut out those who want to join.
12. Indulge in those guilty pleasures. They are the only thing to keep us sane.
13. Someone finds you beautiful.
14. It’s okay to be happy going to bed at 10.
15. Pick and choose your battles. And fight hard.
16. Find people the same mental age as you and you’ll never feel out of place.
17. Push yourself out of your comfort zone again and again, but know when you’re at your breaking point.
18. A trip to Target is the best way to clear your mind.
19. Instead of just looking up to others, make yourself into someone to be looked up to.
20. A bad haircut can always be fixed. Apply this to your entire life.
21. Embrace the unknown as the plot of your favourite book – a story you can’t put down.
Want to stay up to date with all of my crazy shenanigans, what movies I’m watching, and how to live the best life ever? Check out my Instagram @PotatoesHegarty
Stay classy, Internet,
FIND MORGAN ON THE WEB
BETTER BLOGGER NETWORK: