When you are a teenager, it feels that there is nothing going for you. You feel ugly and spotty and fat and lonely and disliked and every other negative feeling. But really, that is just your low self-esteem planting false information in your head. The way you feel is in proportion to the size of your self-esteem. If it’s low, you will feel poorly about your self-image. If it’s high, you will feel great about your self-image. Here are a few ways to improve how you feel about yourself.
Feeling Good in 10 Steps
- Pamper yourself once a week – make yourself feel beautiful by setting aside one morning a week and giving yourself some TLC. Take a luxurious shower, spend time on your hair, use yummy smelling lotion, give yourself a pedicure, etc. Do something that makes you feel beautiful and cared for.
- Go for a run – yeah, exercise isn’t fun for everyone, but when you run/exercise, your body releases endorphins, which make you feel powerful and happy, which increases your perception of yourself.
- Have a positive goal – choose a goal that not only benefits yourself, but others. Decide to donate money to cancer research, run a marathon for Alzheimer’s, or chair a donation committee for Haiti. Giving to others makes you feel good about yourself, plus the good deeds naturally make you happy when you see the results that stem from them.
- Spend time with people you like – usually the people you like are the people who are kind to you. Surrounding yourself with people who are kind to you heightens your feelings of being secure and happy with yourself.
- Learn a new skill – learn a new language, a new recipe, or how to skateboard. When you achieve your new skill, you will feel proud of yourself, creating a feeling of confidence in yourself that improves your self-esteem.
- Eat pasta – it might just seem a fatty carb dinner, but pasta does lots of good things for you too. Pasta increases your levels of serotonin. Low levels of serotonin lead to depression, so by eating pasta twice a week you can stay away from depression and feel awesome about yourself!
- Clean up your life – feel like life is new by cleaning up your house. The look of having a spotless house makes you feel good and fresh and new.
- Write down your positive traits – it might seem too 2nd grade for you, but by writing down all the positive traits about yourself, it subconsciously reminds you of what is good about yourself, making you have a higher opinion of yourself.
- Congratulate yourself on your accomplishments – it’s very easy to be modest and push your accomplishments to the side. Instead, pat yourself on the back for a job well-done. You did something great, treat yourself like you did.
- Be kind to everyone – do you remember the rule we were forced to learn in primary school? “Treat others as you would like to be treated”? Basically, if you go out to the world smiling at everyone and complimenting their shoes, there is a big chance the world is going to the exact same to you. Having a positive attitude towards the world is so rewarding in the end if not in the beginning.
I hope that you will all try these steps and feel better about yourself because you are all beautiful people and deserve to feel that way.