I am a rule follower. Always have been, always will be. Rules are a way to guide how you do something so that it comes out in an orderly fashion. So, when it comes to blogging, there are a few rules that dictate how I blog.
- Post at least once a week – this way, I can get into the habit of sitting down with my computer and writing fairly regularly. You have to start small.
- Let people support as they please – contrary to how I was in the beginning of my blogging career, I no longer like to ask my readers to ‘like’, ‘subscribe’, or ‘comment’. I do like to give people an idea of what they could comment about, but if you do really like what I’m writing, then you will support me without me badgering you.
- Never appeal to only a small, select group – I don’t want to lessen my view count by only making posts for a small group. I don’t want to disappoint someone who reads regularly by posting something only a handful of people like (i.e. radishes dressed as ballerinas). Now, you personally might not love something I post one time, but I try to range everywhere so everyone can enjoy.
- Blog for myself – now, I do want you to enjoy and get something from my posts, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Everything I write has to be something I can be proud of reading to people and sharing with the world. I have to really like what I am putting on the internet before I will put it there. It has to put confidence in my writing skills or it doesn’t get posted.
- Titles inform and occasionally entertain – I want the titles of my posts to inform the reader on what they are going to read. And, if I feel like giving myself a giggle when I go through my archive, I want the title to be entertaining. I want you all to feel amused and for me to feel like the most clever girl ever. As Peter Pan would say, “Oh, the cleverness of me!”
- Videos & photos need to add, not detract from the content – when I add a picture or video, it needs to add to the content and make it better and more eye-appealing, instead of distracting.
Thank you for reading my blogging rules. They don’t work for everyone, but I hope they may inspire you to make some for yourself so that you can blog happily.
These videos were the inspiration for this post: