Ever had someone tell you that you look nice and it made you feel all fuzzy inside? That’s the feeling you get when you receive a compliment.
Noun: A polite expression of praise or admiration.
A compliment is when you tell someone that you like the way they styled their hair or that their couch cushions are a lovely shade of blue. It makes the person who is being complimented feel really good inside. And then they pass it on and in the end we get a whole wide world full of people feeling good about themselves. So, to create this world full of compliments, here is five reasons why you should compliment someone.
- Make someone feel good! Nothing makes someone’s day special like being told something awesome about themselves. Today I was told that the story I submitted for our literary magazine was the best they’d read. I felt super special all day long!
- Make yourself feel good! Giving someone a compliment and seeing their face light up actually increases your own self-confidence. So, tell someone something nice and feel your own happiness increase!
- Get one back! Chances are that if you spread the good-mood vibe around your school, it will get back to you sooner than later. It’s called the Boomerang Effect and it works!
- Gets rid of an awkward situation! If you are in an awkward situation (i.e. talking to a rival/ex-beau) make the moment a bit less awkward by complimenting them on their new shoes or fantastic new haircut. Problem solved!
- Improve the mood in your school/work place! By spreading around positive morale with compliments where you go to school/work, the entire place will brighten and be changed for the better. And there’s nothing wrong with that!